All the news from Friday’s school boards meetings are here. The Maryland school board’s action to put all of its schools on lockdown last week, prompted by a sniper threat, lasted only a few minutes and ended with a whimper rather than a bang. This photo from the incident shows lockers next to empty desks.
After a week of lockdown at all 58 schools in Howard County, it appears the school system is saying goodbye to the unusual step. Students were to begin classes today after the Feb. 10 lockdown.
The lockdown triggered by a threat by a disgruntled student will end, at least in the district, as a school system official said Friday, The Baltimore Sun reported. The lockdown came in response to a written threat left outside the girls’ bathrooms in the Wilde Lake High School building, according to the Sun. It appears that the threat was meant to intimidate a specific student, the school system said. The person who made the threat was arrested, but because no weapons were found, the school system did not issue a warning to parents.
The lockdown lasted 10 hours, canceled some school meetings and kept many parents from sending their children to school. On Friday, Howard County school officials said school officials would take steps to make the system safer, including reviewing rules on dress code, cyber-bullying and letting staff know that “inappropriate behavior” would result in dismissal.
Baltimore County schools were on lockdown again Thursday in response to a bomb threat made against a magnet school in the city. The bomb threat was made at Franklin Elementary School, in the city’s Hampden neighborhood.