BBC Sport understands the F1 racing team that runs Monaco Grand Prix could be prevented from competing at the famous track
The Monaco Grand Prix will be reduced to three days in 2022, according to Formula 1 chief executive Chase Carey.
Monaco had been due to return to the calendar for a seventh season next year but it has yet to be confirmed.
The Grand Prix of America, which will be held on a temporary circuit in New Jersey in April, is unlikely to take place next year.
Belgium’s Spa-Francorchamps will host a pre-season test in January.
Carey has been locked in a dispute with new Monaco chairman and chief executive Jean Todt and his team over the event and it is thought Todt plans to step down when his contract expires at the end of the year.
F1 regulations state the race must run from 17 to 19 May. A three-day race would likely end a day earlier, or the night before.
A source told BBC Sport this could see the race end on May 19, later than previous suggested by Carey.
Carey said: “I believe we can reduce costs of different things. I think the Monaco Grand Prix is a fantastic weekend and an incredible show and I want to see that run week-in, week-out.
“But maybe the seven-day and three-day Monaco Grand Prix are not the future.”
In March, former world champion and F1 chairman Bernie Ecclestone suggested the race could be dropped to save £20m a year.
He said: “The Grand Prix of America is going to be great because it is great and so is Monaco, but we can save £20m a year and have two races instead of one.”
But in August the race was given a two-year extension by Ecclestone, who said: “If you were a fan of racing, you should be happy.”